Sports Physical Therapy
What is Sports Physical Therapy?
It is a specialized subset of physical therapy that focuses on prevention, evaluation, treatment, rehabilitation, and performance enhancement for physically-active individuals.
Physical Therapy at St. Luke's has a Passion for Athletes
Many of our therapists have advanced certifications to provide you with the best possible treatment for your condition and situation. Our professionals apply scientific knowledge to treat athletes for the primary goal of returning to activity safely. Coordination and cooperation between physical therapists, physicians and athletic trainers working with area high schools, colleges, and professional teams is the hallmark of what we do.
Advanced Certifications Many of Our Therapists Hold:
- Board Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialist (OCS)
- Board Certified Sports Clinical Specialist (SCS)
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
In What Ways Can Sports Physical Therapy Help Athletes?
- Evaluation - Sports physical therapists are highly skilled in the evaluation of the athlete and active individuals, including acute or chronic neuromusculoskeletal injuries or post-operative conditions.
- Treatment & Rehabilitation - In a team approach with physicians and athletic trainers, the sports physical therapist designs and implements programs for the management of neuromusculoskeletal injuries in clients of all ages and physical abilities. Sports physical therapists will perform periodic function assessments to assist in a safe return to activity.
- Performance Enhancement - Sports physical therapists assist athletically-active individuals to improve their performance in a variety of ways. Areas of deficiency in flexibility, muscular strength and endurance, and in the aerobic/anaerobic systems can be outlined in a specific training regime. Follow-up evaluations can determine further training program changes & modifications.
- Prevention - The practice of sports physical therapy includes those invertventions that assist the athletically-active individual in preventing injuries and then, if an injury occurs, continuing their pursuits with minimal disruptions.
St. LukSt. Luke's Physical Therapy is the official physical therapy provider for the following organizations:
Lehigh Valley Steelhawks - Arena Football Team
Quakertown High School Athletics
Easton AreaSchool District Athletics
Wilson Area School District Athletics
Northampton AreaSchool DistrictAthletics
Notre Dame High School Athletics
Whitehall-CoplaySchool District Athletics
Return to Sport After ACL
Physical Therapist's Guide to Healthy Running
Baseball Throwing Program - 11 and 12 year-old athletes
Baseball Throwing Program - 13 and 14 year-old athletes
Baseball Throwing Program - High School, College, and Professional AthletesACL Performance Enhancement Program